The National Convention program features prominent international and local speakers, conference sessions, a 100+ stand trade exhibition and an active social calendar.
The convention will attract around 3000 attendees and visitors, and relies on the generosity of volunteers to assist with the successful event delivery across four days.
When and where
This year, AHRI's National Convention will run from Tuesday 28 August to Friday 31 August at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC), located in South Wharf.
Volunteers are required to work various shifts across the following times:
|Tuesday 28 August||7.30am – 8.30pm|
|Wednesday 29 August||7.30am – 5.00pm|
|Thursday 30 August||8.00am – 5.00pm|
|Friday 31 August||9.00am – 3.00pm|
All volunteers are required to complete a compulsory onsite induction on Monday 27 August at 5pm at MCEC. Volunteer selections will be based on the needs of the convention and not all applicants may be selected. Priority will be given to those volunteers who are available for multiple days.
What you'll do
Volunteers will fulfill a variety of roles across the convention. These include logistics, administration, customer relations, and more:
- Meet and greet – Assist the convention secretariat with meeting and greeting delegates, answering enquiries, providing direction and general assistance
- Registration staff – Check in delegates upon arrival, print and hand out name badges, and distribute delegate bags
- Room monitors – Usher delegates into session rooms, scan delegate badges, monitor seating and numbers in concurrent sessions and assist latecomers
- Information and directions – Direct delegates between sessions, rooms and the exhibition space, manage traffic flow and answer queries
- Speaker assistant – Escort speakers as required, introduce them to relevant staff and suppliers, and assist them with onsite requirements.
At the induction you will receive training and instruction on all the above tasks and responsibilities. Allocation of roles will be conducted upon arrival. Specific requests will be taken into consideration where possible, but will be ultimately dictated by the needs of the convention at the time. You can expect to perform a variety of roles across your shifts, sometime being asked to change as the need arises.
- Attend the compulsory induction session at 5.00pm on Monday 27 August at MCEC
- Arrive on time to all scheduled shifts
- As the face of the convention, you will be helpful, cheery and have an enthusiastic attitude and a professional and respectful approach
- Cover your own travel expenses to and from the event
- Dress in accordance with our event uniform policy (below).
In return you will receive
- The opportunity to be part of the ground team that delivers this hallmark, national event from build to bump-out
- The opportunity to attend convention presentations
- The opportunity to meet HR practitioners and leaders
- Invaluable experience and the opportunity to gain hands-on practice working with the Australian HR Institute CPD Events Team, the convention secretariat and the exhibition service providers
- All meals during your shift(s) onsite – served in the Volunteers' Lounge
- Convention-branded polo
- A briefing and site tour
- An invitation to attend the Welcome Reception on the evening of Tuesday 28 August
- A professional letter of reference detailing your hours and responsibilities.
Event uniform policy
The AHRI National Convention and Exhibition is a professional event and all volunteers are required to dress and groom themselves appropriately. A neat and tidy appearance will help you feel in control of your duties. Here is a list of requirements:
- Corporate dark shoes – We highly recommend comfortable shoes
- Corporate skirt or trousers – Preferably black and in good condition
- A convention-branded polo – Provided by AHRI
- Neat and tidy appearance – Hair, makeup and hygiene
AHRI will not accept volunteers wearing clothing such as leggings, mini-skirts or shorts, open footwear such as sandals and thongs, or high heels.
The Volunteer Application Form will be available shortly.
Volunteer selections are at the discretion of AHRI and will be based on the needs of the convention. Pending submissions received, some candidates may not be selected. Those that are available for several shifts or full days will be given preference.
Should you require additional information please contact the AHRI CPD Events Team by email or phone 03 9918 9243.