The annual AHRI National Convention and Exhibition is a nationwide event held for human resources and people management professionals.
The program features prominent international and local speakers, conference sessions, a 100+ stand trade exhibition and an active social calendar.
The convention will attract around 3000 attendees and visitors, and relies on the generosity of volunteers to assist with the successful event delivery across four days.
When and where
This year, the convention main program will run from Monday 21 August to Thursday 24 August at the ICC Sydney that is located in the precinct of Darling Harbour on Cockle Bay.
Volunteers are required to work various shifts across the following times:
- Monday 21 August 7.00am – 8.30pm
- Tuesday 22 August 7.00am – 5.00pm
- Wednesday 23 August 7.00am – 5.00pm
- Thursday 24 August 7.30am – 3.30pm
All volunteers are required to complete a compulsory onsite induction on Sunday 20 August at 5pm. Volunteer selections will be based on the needs of the convention and not all applicants may be selected. Priority will be given to those volunteers who are available for multiple days.
What you'll do
Volunteers will fulfill a variety of roles across the convention. These include logistics, administration, customer relations, and more;
- Meet and greet
- Assist the convention secretariat with meeting and greeting delegates, answering enquiries
- Registration staff
- Unpack and distribute delegate bags, assist the convention secretariat with registering delegates
- Room monitors
- Usher delegates in session rooms, check delegate badges, monitor seating and numbers in concurrent sessions, close doors when sessions are full, and assist late-comers
- Data collection points
- Manage traffic flow and monitor room capacities
- Information and directions
- Direct delegates between sessions, rooms and the exhibition space, manage traffic flow and answer queries.
At the induction you will receive your individual timetable detailing the tasks you have been allocated each day. We provide a friendly and supportive environment, where volunteers learn new and valuable skills, meet professional people who share their interests and above all, have an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
Your responsibilities at the event
- Attend the compulsory induction session at 5pm on Sunday 20 August
- Arrive on time to all scheduled shifts
- As the face of the convention, you will be helpful, cheery and have an enthusiastic attitude, a professional approach and respect for confidentiality
- Cover your own travel expenses to and from the event
- Dress in accordance with our event uniform policy (below)
In return you will receive
- The opportunity to be part of the ground team that delivers this large-scale, national event from build to bump-out
- The opportunity to attend convention presentations
- The opportunity to meet HR practitioners and leaders
- Invaluable experience and the opportunity to gain hands-on practice working with the Australian HR Institute events team, the convention secretariat, and the exhibition service providers
- All meals during your shift(s) onsite – served in the Volunteers' Lounge
- Convention-branded polo
- A briefing and site tour
- An invitation to attend the Welcome Reception on the evening of Monday 21 August
- A professional reference letter will be sent to you after the convention outlining your total work hours and your role and responsibilities
Event uniform policy
The AHRI National Convention and Exhibition is a professional event, so all volunteers are required to dress and groom themselves appropriately. A neat and tidy appearance will help you feel in control of your duties. Required:
- Comfortable covered shoes – you will be on your feet a lot
- Corporate attire: black skirt or trousers in good condition
- A convention-branded polo (provided to you by AHRI)
AHRI will not accept volunteers wearing clothing such as leggings, mini-skirts or shorts, open footwear such as sandals and thongs, or high-heels.
Complete and return volunteer Application Form no later than Friday 28 July 2017.
Volunteer selections are at the discretion of AHRI and will be based on the needs of the convention. Pending submissions received, some candidates may not be selected. Those that are available for several shifts or full days will be given preference.
Existing volunteers can contact the AHRI events team by email or phone 03 9918 9243 should they require further information.