Unit 2: The HR organisational environment
This unit explores the factors that influence the operating environment of an organisation and their impact on strategic planning and strategic objectives. It investigates the ways in which human resource management contributes to organisational strategy through understanding the organisational context and organisational objectives in order to develop and implement an HR strategy which supports achievement of organisational capability.
Participants explore how they can build a business case for a HR initiative as part of business strategy. The unit also examines the employment relations legislative framework in which Australian businesses operate.
This unit will enable you to:
- Evaluate the strategic competitiveness of the business, drawing on your understanding of your organisation's context including the industry, operating environment, market position, exposure to trends in the operating environment, and the business model;
- Prepare a business case to support the contribution of HR to achieving the business strategy by analysing your organisation's strategic objectives and developing appropriate HR strategies;
- Identify and assess the effect of stakeholder interests on HR practices, engage stakeholders in HR activity and promote the value of the HR function to stakeholders; and
- Articulate within the organisation the employment law and legal requirements with which the business must comply, and integrate these requirements into HR and organisational practice.
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, AHRI must consider our duty of care to our students and facilitators. As such, we will be transitioning our scheduled workshops into a new ‘virtual workshop’ format, until it is deemed safe to run face-to-face workshops again.
The member experience will remain the same, with a full day of interactive education and professional post-workshop support as needed to all our students. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 811 880.
By completing this study unit, you will achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Understand the impact of organisational context on the development and implementation of HR strategy in order to deliver organisational objectives;
- Contribute to a fair, safe, ethical and diverse workplace through the application of contemporary employment law and practices; and
- Establish and foster relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders to build organisational capability.
This unit of study requires approximately 128 hours study time (including assessment).