Unit 2: The HR Organisational Environment
This unit explores the factors that influence the operating environment of an organisation and their impact on strategic planning and strategic objectives. The unit investigates the ways in which human resource management contributes to organisational strategy through understanding the organisational context and organisational objectives in order to develop and implement a HR strategy which supports achievement of organisational capability. Participants explore how they can build a business case for a HR initiative as part of business strategy. The unit also examines the employment relations legislative framework in which Australian businesses operate.
This unit will enable students to:
- Evaluate the strategic competitiveness of the business, drawing on their understanding of their organisation's context including the industry, operating environment, market position, exposure to trends in the operating environment, and their business model;
- Prepare a business case to support the contribution of HR to achieving the business strategy by analysing their organisation's strategic objectives and developing appropriate HR strategies;
- Identify and assess the effect of stakeholder interests on HR practices, engage stakeholders in HR activity and promote the value of the HR function to stakeholders; and
- Articulate within the organisation the employment law and legal requirements with which the business must comply, and integrate these requirements into HR and organisational practice.
Upon completion of this unit of study, the following learning outcomes will be achieved:
- Understand the impact of organisational context on the development and implementation of HR strategy in order to deliver organisational objectives;
- Contribute to a fair, safe, ethical and diverse workplace through the application of contemporary employment law and practices; and
- Establish and foster relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders to build organisational capability.
The unit of study requires approximately 128 hours study time (including assessment).
Find a Course
Prefer in-house training?
AHRI can customise all short courses and education to the needs of your company and its people.
Training Needs Analysis Tool
Create your HR career plan in 30 mins with AHRI's free online training needs analysis tool.