Mental Health First Aid. This course consists of 2x 3 hour sessions on 4 and 11 November (9:30am - 12:30pm AEDT).
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID
Participants will learn how to assist an adult who may be experiencing a mental health problem or mental health crisis until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves, using a practical, evidence-based action plan.
This course is based on guidelines developed through the expert consensus of people with lived experience of mental health problems and professionals.
Developing mental health problems covered:
- Substance abuse problems
Mental health crisis situations covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug and alcohol abuse
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
Course delivery mode: Blended learning for individuals
Course duration: One week
Learner effort: 2 x 3 hour live, facilitator-led sessions over one week + online learning module and application activities
CPD Points: 7
Registration fee: $433.00 (Introductory price)
Enquiries: 1300 811 880 / Education@ahri.com.au
Key learning outcomes
Following the training you will be able to:
- Learn about the signs and symptoms of common and disabling mental health problems in adults.
- How to provide initial help, where and how to get professional help.
- Understand what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
The course is an education course, to learn how to give first aid to others, and is not a therapy or support group.
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is suitable for any adult over the age of 18. Particularly relevant for professionals with leadership skills or those involved in Occupational Health and Safety.
How it works
This blended online course consists of:
- Pre-course tasks, including an online introductory e-learning module (approx. 5hrs duration)
- Online learning module inclusive of theory and practice
- Participate in two 2x3hr live interactive learning sessions with the Open Door Coaching facilitator
- Mental Health First Aid Certification (participants have the option to become an Accredited Mental Health First Aider by completing an online assessment after the course.)
- Workplace application activities and a comprehensive participant textbook containing information on how first aid can be offered across a range of scenarios.
- Opportunity to reflect on and share learnings with Open Door Coaching.
Corporate in-house training
Contact a member of AHRI’s organisation support team to discuss in-house delivery and/or customisation of this course according to your organisation’s needs.
Tel: 1300 811 880