Key Learning Outcomes
Participants will learn how to assist an adult who may be experiencing a mental health problem or mental health crisis until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves, using a practical, evidence-based action plan.
This course is based on guidelines developed through the expert consensus of people with lived experience of mental health problems and professionals.
Developing mental health problems covered:
- Substance abuse problems
Mental health crisis situations covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug and alcohol abuse
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
Upcoming Mental health first aid and related short courses
The AHRI blended learning course combines self-directed learning with live online facilitated learning sessions lead by an experienced HR and business professional.
The course includes:
Engagement: Pre-course tasks, including an online introductory e-learning module (approx. 5hrs duration)
– Online learning module, inclusive of theory and practice
– Participation in 2x3hr live interactive learning sessions with the Open Door Coaching facilitator.
– Mental Health First Aid Certification (participants have the option to become an Accredited Mental Health First Aider by completing an online assessment after the course.)
– Workplace application activities and a comprehensive participant textbook containing information on how first aid can be offered across a range of scenarios.
Reflection: Opportunity to reflect on and share learnings with Open Door Coaching.