Discover what mentoring is, learn about the do’s and don’ts for mentors and mentees, and find out how you can get the most out of a mentoring relationship, with Peter Wilson’s Make Mentoring Work (2nd edition).
This handbook is a must-read for anyone considering – or already in – the role of mentor or mentee, or developing their own mentoring program.
Peter Wilson AM FCPHR is National President and Chairman of the AHRI Board.
The second edition
The most common request after the release of the 1st edition was for more examples of successful mentoring from Peter’s own personal and professional life. In response, the 2nd edition includes a new chapter on ‘Mentoring, Neuroscience and Positive Psychology’ and two new chapters on Peter’s own mentors from his private and professional life.
Peter’s mentors have included:
- Dr Jim Cairns, Controversial federal politician in the 1960s and 1970s, and for a time, was Deputy Prime Minister in the Whitlam Labor Government
- Professor Peter Sheehan, Famous Australian academic, economist, prolific researcher and author, and for a time, senior public servant
- Stan Wallis, Long term CEO of APM/Amcor and then Chairman of AMP, Coles Myer, Amcor, the 1997 Commonwealth Financial System Inquiry, Business Council of Australia, and more recently Sane Australia, a leading national mental health advocacy group
- Bob Santamaria, General Counsel at ANZ Banking Group, and before that Partner at Allens Arthur Robinson, a leading national corporate and commercial law partnership. Bob was also a university peer of Peter’s
- Lindsay Gaze, Famous Australian and Olympic basketball player, coach and administrator
- Dr Fons Trompenaars, Eminent author, academic, thinker and world cross-cultural expert
Another new chapter reviews the best-practice schemes featured in the first edition and discusses how they have evolved. The additional stories, findings and observations in the 2nd edition shed light once again on why mentoring works and the best ways to make it work for you and your organisation.